Event Report: Metaio's #InsideAR Conference Hails The Future Of An Always On, Always Augmented Reality
Digital Business Arrives In The Always On Always Augmented World
On October 10th and 11th, 2013, over 800 attendees from more than 45 countries arrived at the Munich Olympic Park to share their passion and excitement about the latest augmented reality (AR) developments (see Figure 1). Hosted by augmented reality pioneer Metaio, Inside AR 2013, has emerged as one of the world's largest conferences dedicated to the business of AR. The conference touched on key areas such as:
- Wearable computing
- Hardware advances
- Applications and development
- Global adoption
- Future of digital business and AR
- AR use cases from engineering to sales
- Consumer AR
- Future of print and packaging in AR
- Public sector use cases
Figure 1. Full Flickr Stream Of InsideAR Including Demo Videos
<iframe align=center src=http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?user_id=35408001@N04&set_id=72157636422322475&detail=yes frameBorder="0" scrolling=no width="600" height="500"></iframe>
Source: Copyright © 2001 – 2013 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Augmented Reality Brings Contextual Experiences To Life
Constellation believes AR is one of the top 10 disruptive technologies for the decade that bring digital business models to life. In fact, augmented reality expands on the five pillars of digital business - social, mobile, cloud, big data, and video identified in 2010. Consequently, four components of AR drive this shift from engagement to experiential models (see Figure 2):
- Interactivity improves engagement
- Data drives paths to decision and differentiation
- Visualization enables experience
- Context delivers right time relevancy
Figure 2. The Four Components Of Contextual Experiences In Augmented Reality
The Bottom Line: Consider Augmented Reality As A Key Driver For Future Digital Business Models
Augmented reality has progressed beyond the laboratory since the decade of work Metaio pioneered. Customers such as Mitsubishi Electric have grown sales $60M in two years with AR for ductless units in the US. Ikea's catalog app is the most downloaded app in the world for its category. Car companies such as Audi, BMW, GM, Mercedes Benz, and Volkswagen apply AR to enhance the user experience and to transform service. Ball packaging uses AR to drive increased sales from innovative packaging. McDonald's powers a sustainability campaign through AR. Deloitte's GovLab uses AR to transform government services.
From engineering to sales, the entire life cycle of digital business can be powered by AR. Constellation has identified 12 use cases for brands and organizations to consider (see Figure 3).
Figure 3. 12 Pragmatic Use Cases For Augmented Reality
Are you ready for AR? What’s your plan to achieve customer centricity? Are you embarking on a digital business transformation? Let us know how it’s going! Add your comments to the blog or reach me via email: R (at) ConstellationR (dot) com or R (at) SoftwareInsider (dot) com.
Please let us know if you need help with your Augmented Reality, Customer Centricity, and Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Assessing customer centricty readiness
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Designing a next gen apps strategy
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- Event Report: CRM Evolution 2013 – Seven Trends In The Return To Digital Business And Customer Centricity
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
- News Analysis: Kana Express 13 Addresses Omni-Channel Customer Service for Mid-Market
- News Analysis: Oracle’s Cloud Strategy – Revisionist History or Cloud Genius?
- News Analysis: The Vibe On Informatica’s Virtual Data Machine
- Monday’s Musings: The Controversy Surrounding Gartner’s CRM Market Share Analysis
- Research Summary: Constellation Cosmos – Cloud Bill of Rights for SaaS Apps, Actian and Netsuite Achieve Epic Status
- Executive Profiles: Kirill Tatarinov, President Microsoft Business Solutions
- Event Report: Microsoft Dynamics Convegence 2013 (#conv13)
- Event Report: Customers Very Happy At Ultimate Connections 2013 (#ulticonnect)
- Event Report: Informatica Analyst Day Reveals A Growth Strategy
- Trends: Seven Priorities In The Shift From CMO to Chief Digital Officer
- News Analysis: Adobe Behances The Creative Class With $150M Community Acquisition
- Market Maker 1:1: Steve Miranda, Oracle Fusion Applications Update – The Inside Story
- Monday’s Musings: Understand The Four Organizational Personas Of Disruptive Tech Adoption
- Event Report: IFS World Conference 2012 – Innovations Abound Beyond ERP (#IFSWoCo2012)
- News Analysis: SnapLogic Snaps Up $20M In Series C Funding For Cloud Integration
- Event Report: The Day 0 & Day 1 Tweet Stream From #OOW12
- Event Report: The Tweet Stream From #DF12
- Event Report: Dreamforce X (#DF12) Emerges As The South By Southwest (#SXSW) For The Enterprise
- News Analysis: Epicor Acquires Solarsoft, Moves Closer To $1B in Annual Revenues
- Monday’s Musings: The New Engagement Platform Drives The Shift From Transactions
- News Analysis: KANA Enters MidMarket With Trinicom Acquisition
- Best Practices: From First To Worst – Continental In A Post United World, Lessons In Next Gen Customer Experience
- Monday’s Musings: Seven Basic Privacy Rights Users Should Demand For Social Business
- Monday’s Musings: Balancing The Six S’s In Consumerization Of IT
- Monday’s Musings: A Working Vendor Landscape For Social Business
- Product Review: Google+, Consumerization of IT, and Crossing The Chasm For Enterprise Social Business
- Monday’s Musings: Using MDM To Build A Complete Customer View In A Social Era
- Monday’s Musings: Mastering When and How High End Brands Should Use Daily Deal Sites Such As Groupon
- Best Practices: Applying Social Business Challenges To Social Business Maturity Models
- Research Summary: Software Insider’s Top 25 Posts For 2010
- Best Practices: Five Simple Rules For Social Business
- Research Report: How The Five Pillars Of Consumer Tech Influence Enterprise Innovation
- Research Report: Next Gen B2B and B2C E-Commerce Priorities Reflect Macro Level Trends
- Tuesday’s Tip: Applying The Five Stages Of Adoption Towards SCRM Projects
- Monday’s Musings: Avoiding Failure In Social CRM Projects Requires Ecosystem Coordination
- Research Report: The 18 Use Cases of Social CRM – The New Rules of Relationship Management
- Monday’s Musings: Why Every Social CRM Initiative Needs An MDM Backbone
- Monday’s Musings: 10 Essential Elements For Social Enterprise Apps
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy, stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 – 2013 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience!